Family Tree Maker 2017 Notes and Problems
OK, I like and use Family Tree Maker, but ...
FTM Problems for use with TNG:
- Have not tested this with FTM 2017 and TNG 11, yet.
FTM puts media links in the GEDCOM, but not quite
right for TNG yet. The TITL and TEXT does not get set in the TNG
media data. Apparently the generated GEDCOM is not quite up to
the standard (using third level items rather than second
- FTM 2017, updated version 188.8.131.520 (MacKiev).
- FTM 2017 no longer has a database of city/county/country
names as did Ancestry FTM, so when suggestions are made while
tying locations, they come only from your previously entered
names. This means that spelling and associated county names must
be looked up elsewhare.
- FTM sometimes loses its position in the small, tree at
the top of the screen when working in the Person tab for an
individual. The selected person changes or children disappear.
- After deleting from a list such as individuals or
source-citations, the display pane snaps back to the top instead of
remaining at the chosen scroll position. This happens with other
lists. This is very tiresome for long lists!
- The spell checker is hard to use because:
- FTM does not preserve capitalization in the supplied
Change To: field.
- FTM thinks that URLs not in HTML tags are misspelled words
that should be spelled "HTTP", and then spell checks the
entire URL! Should allow valid URLs, and perhaps indicate
misformatted URLs. Also should allow common web site names
such as "Ancestry.com".
- Declares all proper names as misspelled. Very
- Should check proper names (Capitalized) in the Place
Names and Personal Names lists not just the Dictionary.
- Does not recognize "Sr's" as a properly spelled
possessive of title "Sr".
- Needs a "Replace All" option, preferably with a
complete list of proposed change locations. Scary but
- Often fails to suggest capitalized country name such as
- Needs an editing window so that the entire context can
- Does not recognize "Sep" in a date.
- Because of all the above, you cannot stop a spell check
because you have to go through all the junk to get back to
the point you left off. Needs feature to save current spell
- Needs a Back feature for when you accidentally Ignore a
- Find and and Replace has problems with foreign characters, such as not
finding "cafe" with an accented final "e". Such
characters are avoided as they often cause display and
search problems on web sites. Find should ignore special
language characters, with an
option to Match Diacritics as for Match Case.
- Sometimes FTM leaves an empty spouse ("[no spouse
specified]" in the spouse list and the spouse count in the
Family display is one too high. Perhaps this
happens when a spouse is deleted when shared events such as
marriage still exists.
- Delete it by right
clicking in the wife panel of the Tree display and select Add Spouse. Add a dummy name such as
"XXXXX" then when done select that person and use
Person/Delete Person. May need to remove any shared
data, such as a marriage fact before.
- Sometimes FTM looses the connection between a child and its
parent. The data seems to be there, but as you move down from
the parent to the child in the Family display graph or the
Person display graph, the ancestors or descendants vanish.
- Needs to consistently apply Windows conventions:
- When editing text boxes such as note, citations, etc., the
Edit/Undo may work but but also needs a Edit/redo. Needs separate edit/undo history for each different area.
- Formatted Note text does not Cut into a Windows metafile
so that it can be pasted as formatted text into other
applications (and vice versa).
- The name lists should seek using typed first letter as is
the Windows convention. Also in all other lists such as Find
Source Citations - Source-Citations, etc. In some cases, the
name search can be used but requires extra steps.
- Needs simple formatting in Source-Citations as it does for Notes.
- The FTM file needs to be a true database in some standard
format such as Microsoft Access or SQL. It should be possible to
edit/compact/etc as a database and then reuse in FTM.
- Needs a distributable display program that works from CD/DVD
or USB stick, etc.
- Needs a method to systematically step through all individuals
for review and tidying, and maintain the position even when other
features are used while doing such work.
02 Jan 2019 18:04:45 -0800