|Family History Site Notes
TNG 13 Notes
I use TNG as a web display program only. User login is required for
those allowed to view details of the living, and may be restricted to a
branch. Changes or editing, etc. are not allowed. (Also see
TNG Setup and Modifications
when a "gts" modification code is give.)
TNG 13 Small Problems
- TNG 13 blocks a lot of space at the top of the Standard Ancestry
chart just below the help line. At first it appears to be caused by the
zoom buttons (+,1;1,-), but if you scroll down using the browser scroll,
those buttons float on the page. But if you pan the diagram up, you will
see that the topmost box is cut off long before you reach the top of the
display area. The same happens for the Vertical, Compact, and Box
- The same happens for the Descendants charts.
TNG 13 Needs
- Suggestion: tngrobots.php should deliver a short "Thanks for
indexing page" for any page set for noindex/nofollow when the
User Agent contains any of a configurable list of keys (e.g.
BingBot, MegaIndex,...). This greatly reduces work for servincing
indexing Bots (PHP interpretation and SQL searches) without reducing the
indexing service. This site has been using this method for a
- Needs better use of space in the Individual display.
- Multiple value events need to stay on one line if the text will fit, rather than use multiple
- Relationship need not be displayed unless other than
- Needs some changes for thumbnails:
- Option to make default icons always display but block
the master image. This really spices up the
ancestral/descendant displays using the
default image without exposing the full image. (gts032)
- Automatically generate a new thumbnail when absent or
the icon is
older than master image.
- Needs to report most die() calls as 404 Not Found and log.
These are always caused by artificial, external requests not by
TNG itself. (gts025).
- Several die() calls caused by too many search options, TNG
back to the search page with the msg parameter to help the user (gts025a).
- Needs to change thispagedoesnotexist.html redirection to a direct 404
Not Found or a direct 410 Gone response. This would reduce the GET requests and allow
Bots to remove the bad link from their indexes and reduce
further server workload. The administrator can use .htaccess to
customize the error page. Such requests are always due to old
search engine entries or bogus requests not by TNG itself. (gts026)
- Needs a general setup feature to disable any menu item despite
- Perhaps each with logged-in user and/or admin login exception.
- Similarly, the Trim Menus option should trim any menu
with no content, such as Albums.
- Lines Statistics should be similarly blocked and
- Problem: Places and Cemeteries are too strict when parsing place
names. Trailing characters or comments are treated as part of
the last name given such as the state or country. For example,
comments in parentheses, e.g. "Austin, Texas (Westside
Cemetery)". Needs a comment-like character such as ()m to stop name
- The media displays should show nothing for "Living"
thumbnails or images, rather than the ugly default thumbnail.
- Needs to verify all caller supplied data including
parameters, but also such as HTTP_REFERER, HTTP_USER_AGENT,
- preg_match() is a very powerful tool for such
- Needs to reject with a direct 400 Bad Request, not just
trim as in processvars.php and than give as "does not exist".
This allows Bots to clear their indexes and reduce server workload.
And to block almost all hacker attacks (programmer
- Needs to suppress display of details about a living person
in sources/notes on a deceased person's page (if that
citation is linked to a living person as well as a deceased).
- TNG currently links identical citations from a GEDCOM to multiple persons, and in some cases does block
images, etc. with a living link. But not for citations?
- TNG converts http/https to links in Notes but not in Sources.
It should do so for all displayed text.
- Needs a bulk photo import with details added later. TNG could
scan a directory for unknown files and use I000n and F000n in
the file name to assign to a particular individual or group. Or
more elaborately scan for file name parts that match existing
names, e.g. Faces-SmithJohn-1961-OregonCA.jpg.
- Darrin said 11/2008: "TNG 7 already includes a bulk
photo importer. I would like to be able to set up links
based on the file names, but naming conventions just aren't
- TNG cannot handle long path names apparently due the fixed
data field sizes.