|Family History Site Notes
Family Tree Maker 2019 Notes
I like and use Family Tree Maker, but ...
- FTM 2019 build 1252 (MacKiev 184.108.40.2062).
- FTM sometimes loses its position in the small, tree at
the top of the screen when working in the Person tab for an
individual. The selected person changes or children or parents disappear.
- After deleting from a list such as individuals or
source-citations, the display pane snaps back to the top instead of
remaining at the chosen scroll position. This happens with other
lists. This is very tiresome for long lists!
- FTM needs to warn the user if a citation to be linked would link
to both a living and a deceased person. Internet displays such
as TNG or Ancestry may not distinguish and display the living
data on the deceased person's page.
- The spell checker (NetSpell.SpellChecker 220.127.116.1150) is hard to use because:
- Needs an editing window so that the entire context can
- Needs a Back feature for when you accidentally Ignore a
- Needs and Exit And Save Position to preserve
the Spell Check position, when you need to look elsewhere.
- FTM does not preserve capitalization in the supplied
Change To: field.
- Declares proper names in text as misspelled. Should
check proper names in the Place Names and Person Names lists not just the Dictionary. And
suggest capitalization if found there.
- Does dot recognize HTTP URLs. Should skip, verify URL
format, or even verify the host name.
- Does not recognize "Sr's" as a properly spelled
possessive of "Sr".
- Needs a "Replace All" option, preferably with a
complete list of proposed change locations. Scary but
necessary. Perhaps with a list of changes that would be made
- Find has problems with foreign characters,
such as not finding "cafe" with an accented "e". Find should ignore special
language characters, with an
option to Match Diacritics as for Match Case.
- Sometimes FTM leaves an empty spouse ("[no spouse
specified]" in the spouse list and the spouse count in the
Family display is one too high. Perhaps this
may happen when a spouse is deleted when shared events such as
marriage still exists.
- Delete it by right
clicking in the wife panel of the Tree display and select Add Spouse. Add a dummy name such as
"XXXXX" then, when done, select that person and use
Person/Delete Person. May need to remove any shared
data, such as a marriage fact before.
- The FTM file needs to be a true database in some standard
format such as Microsoft Access or SQL. It should be possible to
edit/compact/etc the database and then reuse in FTM.
- Needs to consistently apply Windows conventions:
- When editing text boxes such as note, citations, etc., the
Edit/Undo may work but but also needs a Edit/Redo. Needs separate edit/undo/redo history for each different area.
FTM 2019 is better than previous versions, but needs more.
- Formatted Note text does not Cut into a Windows metafile
so that it can be pasted as formatted text into other
applications (and vice versa).
- The name lists should seek using typed first letter as is
the Windows convention. Also in all other lists such as Find
Source Citations - Source-Citations, etc. In some cases, the
name search can be used but requires extra steps.
- Needs simple formatting in Source Citations as it does for Notes.
Encode as HTML?
- Needs a distributable display program that works from CD/DVD
or USB stick, etc.
- Needs a method to systematically step through all individuals
for review and tidying, and maintain the position even when other
features are used while doing such work.
FTM Problems for use with TNG:
- Have not tested this with FTM 2019 and TNG 13, yet.
FTM puts media links in the GEDCOM, but not quite
right for TNG yet. The TITL and TEXT does not get set in the TNG
media data. Apparently the generated GEDCOM is not quite standard (using third level items rather than second