|Family History Site Notes
TNG 13.0.3 Setup and Modifications
I use TNG as a web display program.
User login is only
for those allowed to view the living, and is usually restricted to a
Changes or editing, etc. are not allowed.
- gts000 - Changes for some exotic strings
confuse the Expression Web 4 PHP code display.
- gts007 - Configure Between-And in date format to show
as "1998 - 1999".
- gts011 - ID import to trimsize 5 for Family Tree Maker 2019.
- gts012 - Remove forgot/remember/reset option from login.
- gts014 - Security and request validation front-end and associated
TNG modifications to make it
work. Mal formed requests get a direct 400 Bad Request
response. Log function for request details including trapped PHP errors.
Also gts014a. And gts014b adjustments for TNG 13. Set TNG
offline to keep all requests on this web site.
- gts015 - Remove remaining vestiges of global variables.
Leave request variable copying. [Need further study of processvars.php.]
- gts021 - Disable genlog.txt. All needs now met by gts014
- gts022 - Add help line to Family Tree display.
- gts023 - Revise unsafe direct use of HTTP_REFERER in logout. Verify
- gts024 - Block unused menu items: bookmarks, allmedia,
whatsnew, mostwanted, reports, trees, branches, notes, etc.
- gts025 - Change all instances of die() to dieX() so that
TNG can give HTTP error 404 Not Found and log the error, file,
and line. Such errors never occur in normal TNG processing and
always come from artificial, external TNG requests.
- gts025a - Fix search and famsearch to give a
friendly error message using their msg parameter, instead of
die(). leaves all form data so user can repair and re-submit.
- gts026 - All "pagedoesnotexist" responses give a direct
410 Gone response instead of a 302 Redirect to thispagedoesnotexist.html. Such requests are for deleted items
and never TNG itself. Such user typed ID entries already get friendly error messages. Site
can configure a "Not Exist" page as a PHP file or use the system
or .htaccess configured error page.
- gts031 - For known robots, don't call TNG for no index/no
follow pages. Reply 200 with a short "thanks for indexing" page.
There is no need to stress TNG for pages that do not add to
- gts032 - Always display the thumbnail but give
no full size image if living, linked to living, private, etc.
Alt/title of image set to getName() so blocking or abbreviation
options are followed for the pop-up name. I use this mostly for
the individual's default image.
- gts033 - Change gts14 to notice PHP error-log files and
send alert email to WebMaster (up to 5 times). Also send email
for simple PHP errors (except undefined or suppressed with @).
- gts035 - Remove Edit Profile from logged-in name in header line.
Not allowed on these sites.
- gts036 - Fix PHP undefined errors so can use strict error
checking. Too many! Had to continue to allow undefined errors.
- gts037 - Remove Tree/Branch column from Search results. No
need to display Branches there. Braches only used to allow
- gts038 - Change Search site to provide multiple search
engines (AOL, DuckDuckGo, Google, Yahoo).
- gts039 - Suggests alternative PDF
creation methods in the PDF creation popup.
- gts040 - Change gts025 dieX() to give 500 Server Error. Also for
configuration problems. Send email to WebMaster for first 5
- gts041 - Turn off heat Map until a mapping source is
- gts042 - Respond 500 Server Error to uncaught PHP throw
exception using dieX().
- gts043 - Change individual display to show Gender fact only
if not male/female. Also show Relation fact only if not Natural.
- gts044 - Change individual display to show
Date/Place/Description events as one line. Especially nice for
DPD with no Place. Remove square
brackets around citation list.